Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Zichron Ya'acov

Today I visited the Zichron Ya'akov, or "Jacob's Memorial". It is a small town in Israel, with an approximate population of only 1800, at the southern end of the Carmel Mountain Range. It was one of the first settlements in Israel, named in memory of Jacob. There, I went to many wineries, like Carmel. Zichron Ya'akov grows tons of grapes to make wine sold throughout the country. Although I didn't actually buy any wine, it was interesting to see how it was made, and the rows and rows of grapes. Although it is a small size, it is a fairly popular vacation spot. I also passed by Yeshivat Ohr Yaakov, which is an educational establishment that attracts many English-speaking students from all over the world. One other place I visited was the Aharonson's House. The Aharonson family were from the first settlers in Zichron Yaakov. The son Aharon was had a big influence on the town's agricultural success. The family played an important role in WWI. Today the house presents the history of the family and also used as a museum for the N.I.L.Y organization. Overall, I had a lot of fun in Zichron Ya'akov!!

No comments:

Post a Comment